Things you’ll need:
- Turmeric (kills the bacteria causing phlegm) – 1 tablespoon
- Salt (contains antibacterial properties) – ¼ teaspoon
- Warm water (soothes irritated throat) – 1 glass (8 to 10 ounces)
ADD TURMERIC AND SALT TO WATER
- Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric to a glass of warm water.
- Add a pinch of salt (approximately ¼ teaspoon) to the solution.
MIX IT WELL AND GARGLE WITH THE SOLUTION
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Gargle with a small amount of the solution to get quick relief.
Repeat 3 or 4 times a day to loosen mucus and reduce phlegm in your throat.
USE A SALT WATER GARGLE
Gargling with salt water is one of the most effective ways to get rid of phlegm.
While warm water soothes your throat, salt contains antibacterial properties that fight the bacteria that cause the infection.
The salt and water combination decreases production of mucus and accumulation of phlegm.
MIX SALT IN WATER
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water.
STIR WELL AND GARGLE WITH THE SALT WATER
- Stir well so the salt dissolves in the water.
- Gargle with the solution to loosen your phlegm fast.
Do this 3 or 4 times every day until you get rid of phlegm from your system.
Steaming is another effective treatment to loosen up mucus and phlegm in your throat.
Breathing in steam allows the vapors to travel down your throat and loosen up clogged mucus, thus providing instant relief. Infusing the water with herbs adds additional healing effects.
Things you’ll need:
- Water (boiling hot) (helps loosen clogged mucus) – 4 to 5 cups
- Rosemary (contains antiseptic properties) – ½ teaspoon
- Thyme (helps reduce excess mucus) – ½ teaspoon
ADD HERBS TO BOILING WATER
- Pour 4 to 5 cups of hot water into a bowl. Make sure the water is boiling hot.
- Add ½ teaspoon each of dried rosemary and thyme.
INHALE THE STEAM
- Drape a towel over your head to trap as much steam as possible.
- Lean over the bowl of hot water so that the steam directly hits your face.
- Breathe in the vapors for up to 10 minutes to get instant result.
Repeat 3 or 4 times a day to expel mucus from your throat.
Alternatively, a steamy shower 2 times a day will also provide relief from phlegm.
USE HONEY AND LEMON
Honey is loaded with antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties that soothes your irritated respiratory tract to provide instant relief.
Lemon, which has abundant vitamin C, is highly effective in strengthening your immunity and clearing away congestion.
Things you’ll need:
- Lemon juice (strengthens your immunity) – 2 tablespoons
- Honey (contains antibacterial and antiviral properties) – 1 tablespoon
BLEND HONEY AND LEMON JUICE
- Put 1 tablespoon of honey in a bowl.
- Add double the amount (2 tablespoons) of lemon juice to the honey.
STIR AND DRINK THE CONCOCTION
- Stir well to mix the ingredients.
- Drink the solution to get instant relief from the congestion.
Repeat 3 times each day until it cures your phlegm.
USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (ACV)
A solution to almost all your troubles, apple cider vinegar brings your body to an alkaline state and balances the pH levels that prevent excess production of mucus in the body.
ADD APPLE CIDER VINEGAR TO WATER
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and mix well.
DRINK THE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR TONIC
- Drink the concoction 2 or 3 times a day until the excess mucus clears away.
Also, you can gargle with the solution to soothe a sore throat.
- Use a humidifier to help control the production of mucus.
- Blow your nose regularly to expel the phlegm.
- Eat spicy foods like garlic and peppers to thin the mucus and break up the congestion.
- Do not expose yourself to paint fumes, hazardous chemicals, and household cleaners as they may irritate your throat and nose.
- Avoid smoking, as it irritates the respiratory system and leads to congestion.
- Do not swallow the mucus or phlegm in your throat. Instead, gargle and spit it out to speed up the healing process.
- Avoid consumption of cold foods and drinks.