Ever since my parents were diagnosed with diabetes, we’ve all been cutting down on sweets as well as fatty ingredients. I have also been looking for dessert recipes that will not deprive their body of sugar. It would be sad if they could never enjoy another dessert again, so I really wanted to figure a way out of it. The only compromise I could think of, instead of making them eat just fruits for the rest of their lives, was a dessert that’s not sugary sweet and that has a reduced amount of fat. After a few hours of searching, I finally found this.
This is another sweet dessert recipe that combines the tanginess of citrus fruits and the sweetness of cakes. With the versatility of the lemon, this cake is given an extraordinary twist that everyone in the family will enjoy. Including my parents!
Lemon Lush is a cool, light, creamy dessert perfect for summer entertaining. Four layers give this dessert plenty of sweet and tart yumminess.
The bottom is a buttery shortbread layer flavored with chopped pecans. Next is a sweetened cream cheese layer followed by an easy lemon pudding layer made from instant pudding mix. A layer of whipped topping on top gives a light, dreamy finish to this summer dessert.
Once the warm, sunny weather has set in, one or two lemon desserts are always mandatory. Lemon Pudding Cakes and Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake are always favorites, but I am especially fond of layered desserts that can be made in a 9X13-inch pan. They can really feed a crowd – even a houseful of hungry teenagers.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
For the Crust:
* 1 cup butter, softened but not to room temperature
* 2 cups flour
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup pecans, chopped in small pieces
For the Cream Cheese Layer:
* 2 (8oz) packages Philadelphia cream cheese
* 1 cup powdered sugar
For the Pudding Layer and Topping:
* 2 small packages Jell-O instant lemon pudding mix
* 3 cups cold milk
* 3 – 4 drops lemon extract or 1 tbsp lemon juice – optional
* 1 (16oz) container Cool Whip, almost totally thawed
* Lemon zest, to garnish (optional)
1. Stir together butter, flour, sugar, and chopped pecans in a mixing bowl. A fork works really well to get everything mixed together.
2. Press into a 9×13 baking dish and bake 15-20 minutes at 350°, or until a light golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
3. Beat together cream cheese and sugar until creamy and smooth. Spread over cooled crust.
4. In another mixing bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk.
5. Then whisk in the lemon extract or lemon juice if using. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to thicken up a little. Spread on top of the cream cheese layer. Cover and place in the fridge for 4 – 6 hours. May be refrigerated overnight.
6. When ready to serve, spread whipped topping over the pudding layer. Cut into 18-24 pieces (depending on how large or small you want them) and garnish with fresh lemon zest.
Source : allrecipes.Com